Many popular baby product brands who sell infant recliners are receiving intense scrutiny after several babies have died while using these products. These products were designed with incorrect and unsafe beliefs about infant sleep, and as a result, many families have suffered traumatic losses. Under New Hampshire products liability laws, families whose babies have died using a baby infant sleeper may be entitled to monetary compensation for their damages.
Although, many of these companies boasted that these products were a useful remedy for infants who had sleeping difficulties because of acid reflux, experts contend that there is no scientific evidence that an incline is helpful for this condition. Further, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) advises parents to abide by safe sleep guidelines. These guidelines include always placing infants on their backs on a flat, firm surface without any objects in the area. They report that deviating from these standards can result in suffocation and subsequent brain injury or death. Despite the AAP’s baby sleep guidelines, Fisher-Price continued to market its products as a “sleeper.”
In April 2019, the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a consumer warning advising parents not to use their highly-reviewed Rock n’ Play infant sleeper. The CPSC, in conjunction with the AAP, urged the company to issue a recall following several reports that babies died while sleeping unrestrained in the recliner. Following intense pressure and negative exposure, the company voluntarily issued a recall, allowing customers to receive a voucher or refund for their product.
More recently, reports indicate that CPSC, has recalled over 160,00 infant incline sleepers of additional brands. The recall comes after reports that babies have suffocated when trying to turn from their back to their stomach. Although, CPSC has not received any reports of injuries or deaths with the current recall, they strongly urge parents and caregivers to stop using these products immediately.
Families who believe that their loved one suffered or injuries or death because of one of these products should take steps to protect their rights and remedies. Parents and caregivers should first seek a medical evaluation to determine whether the sleeper caused the harm their child suffered. Then, they should contact the company to report the injury or death. In many cases, the company may try to offer the parents or caregiver a refund, but they should decline this offer until speaking with an attorney. Finally, consumers should not send the item back until discussing the case with an attorney.
Has Your Child Suffered Injuries Because of a Defective Product?
The experienced New Hampshire product liability attorneys at Peter Thompson & Associates can help you and your loved ones recover compensation for injuries you suffered because of a defective product. Defective products, especially baby products, can have a devastating impact on parents and loved ones. Our attorneys work hard to ensure that these negligent companies are held liable for the injuries they caused. These cases are often complex and require a thorough understanding of the New Hampshire wrongful death laws. Our attorneys are experienced and up-to-date on relevant product liability statutes and regulations. Contact our office at 1-800-804-2004 to schedule a free initial consultation with an attorney at our law firm.